International Men’s Day (IMD) gives people the chance to celebrate the positive value men bring to the world and to raise awareness of the issues they face.
Here are five ways to help you mark the occasion.
- The stigma around male mental health still exists, so, if you’re male, spend some time looking after yourself and/or check in on a friend; try to look out for each other as much as possible.
- In the UK, men remain three times as likely to take their own lives as women. Sometimes we say we’re fine when we’re not. So, if your friend doesn’t seem ok, don’t forget to reach out to them. Or make a donation to the suicide prevention charity, CALM UK.
- Organise a social event for employees to bring sons into the workplace. Introduce them to male role models who can inspire these boys to have goals and ambitions.
- International Men’s Day lands right in the middle of the annual Movember campaign to “change the face of men’s health” – so grow a moustache.
- IMD is a time to celebrate the positive influence men can and do have on society as a whole, so – male or female – why not let the men who inspire you know how much you appreciate them?
You can find more information about International Men’s Day here.