- This event has passed.
Workshop: Become More Assertive
9 October 2015 @ 09:30 - 13:30
Challenge with confidence, stand up for yourself and learn how to say “no”.
As we transition into leadership, many of us find it hard to take ownership of our time. It can be challenging to move from a position of “doing what we are told” to one of deciding what and when to do it, and telling others what to do too. In this workshop, Amanda Cullen, our experienced leadership coach will help you to develop the skills for effective and assertive communication. These will help you to have the more difficult conversations.
During the workshop you will:
- Identify where you struggle with assertiveness and what gets in your way
- Recognise what is important to you and worth standing up for
- Learn some tips and techniques for saying NO when appropriate, and for negotiating alternatives
- Practice giving difficult feedback in a safe environment
By the end of the workshop you will:
- Understand why you struggle with assertiveness
- Have some additional skills to help you handle challenging conversations
- Be able to negotiate with senior and junior colleagues with more confidence
This workshop is for you if:
- You currently have some leadership responsibility, whether for two or three people or a large team
- You would love to communicate assertively so as to:
- Feel confident in negotiations
- Push back and learn to say “No”
- Enhance your work/life balance
Your Trainer: Amanda Cullen
Amanda coaches executives to become better leaders, and to step up to their full potential. She also works with teams to maximise their effectiveness.
Before training as a coach Amanda spent over 30 years in the pensions industry, including 10 years as a partner at Mercer. During that time she managed major accounts and led large teams, as well as specialising in providing governance advice to pension scheme trustees.
Amanda’s clients typically seek coaching in one of three situations:
- When they are starting a new role.
- On facing a particularly challenging issue or situation for the first time.
- When it’s time to move on or up, but there is a lack of clarity as to how to achieve this.In addition she has a specialist practice working with Chairs of Trustee Boards. These can be Boards of pension schemes, where her previous career was focused, but also of charities and other not-for-profit organisations.
Amanda is a Certified Professional Coactive Coach and an Associate Certified Coach with the International Coach Federation.